Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Visualize your way to Success!


I was barely 15 years old when me and my Dad were casually discussing career options. He mentioned Hotel Management to me. I was hooked, and found out information about it, and was convinced it was the career for me.
As I told him about my decision, he took me to the IHMCTAN, (Catering College) at Dadar, Mumbai. It was the best college in India. We stood across the road, and he told me something I will never forget.

“That is your college, and you are going to study there. Every day, visualize yourself on the other side of this road, and in that college, and you will get there.”

I didn’t know then. But he was teaching me the power of Visualization. After that day, whenever possible, I made it my route to pass this college. I would stand on the other side of the road, and see myself studying there.

More than a 100,000 students applied for that institute. I was one of the 180 who made it.
After that day, I have applied that technique to many more areas in my life, and taken it further with my Life coaching practice.
This is a three part post on demystifying visualization, and learning how to harness its true power.

What is Visualization?
Focused Day dreaming is the word that comes to mind. Day dreaming can take you anywhere you want, but may not get you somewhere. Focused Day-dreaming can take you exactly where you want to go.

Our mind thinks in images and pictures. Hence when we visualize something, we allow it to flow into our lives.

Visualization lets you savor what you want in your life, by receiving it even before you actually do!

Visualization is like watching a movie. You are the star of that movie, and you get to decide what you do or don’t do. 

This tool cuts loose all the fear and worry, and instead puts you in a positive head-space.

The first step to Visualization is

Decide what you want in any area of your life:  
In my case, I decided I wanted to study Hotel Management, and also in that particular college/institute.

It is important to decide what you want. If you go into a restaurant and tell the waiter to bring you anything, what would happen? You could end up getting something which you hate, or have an allergy to, or maybe get something you love. You are taking a chance. Hence it’s important to spell it out.

This is the first and most important step in visualization. You could choose any area in your life like health, relationships, love, career, children, and so on.

Some examples could be
Being Healthy by eating healthy, and exercising
The perfect job for me.
A loving relationship with my spouse/children/parents.

This sets in motion a path for you whereby, now you have a goal to work towards and visualize. Write this down somewhere, and see how you feel as you read it.
You can even work with 2 or 3 areas in your life.
Take your time to write these down, and reflect over them over a few days.



This was the first post of a three part post on demystifying Visualization. 

In our next post, we will talk about how to visualize what you want in your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment